Donate to CLRP Visit CLRP Facebook Page Visit CLRP Twitter Page

Transition Services (Age 18-21)

“Children” (people up to and including the age of 21 who have not received a high school diploma) with disabilities that interfere with their educational progress are entitled to special education and related services, including transition planning and transition services, beyond the age of 18.

When young adults complete their secondary education many continue their education in colleges and universities. Most of those institutions have obligations under the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

“Children“ with disabilities, (people up to and including the age of 21 who have not received a high school diploma) are entitled to special education and related services, which includes transition services. Significantly, eligible children from the age of 16, or even as early as 14, must be provided with a transition plan and then, transition services, to assist them in moving into post secondary education, training, employment or other post secondary activity.

These services can be academic but also may be other kinds of Instruction, related services (language therapy, occupational therapy, counseling), community experiences, the development of employment and other post-school adult living skills (for example, travel training, learning to access community facilities for recreation, social skills training) and if appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and provision of a functional vocational evaluation. Special Education is not limited to classroom work!

Some school districts routinely exit young adults from special education services when they complete the academic requirements for a high school diploma by conferring the diploma. However, in many cases young adults are entitled to extensive vocational and community integration services from their school districts from the age of 18 to 21. These services are not readily available elsewhere and are not funded by other agencies.

Top ] [ Back ]



I Need Help Necesito Ayuda Intake Checklist Contact Us